Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Restaurant Food During Stay-at-Home

A couple weeks ago Jimmy John’s had a special offer: their 8” sandwiches for $2.99.  That’s a great deal, normally they run close to $6.  Amidst the stay-at-home order, I knew I could order online and they have a carry-out rack where they put the order and you just walk in the door and grab your order in a sack.  J agreed to make the pick-up.

I attempted to order online.  Got a not available response.  I tried another store a little bit further away but within a reasonable distance.  Got the same response.  I tried phoning in the order, but received a busy signal.  I pretty much figured they were receiving too many orders.  But I was not happy so I found their “feedback” button on their website, and I told them their online ordering was not working.  I was surprised to receive an email reply back fairly quickly.  It said they were overwhelmed (just as I suspected), but I could go to the store and order in-person.

J went and purchased our two sandwiches.  Even that apparently wasn’t problem-free.  They were out of the 8” sub rolls.  J could accept their sandwich bread (no!) or they could use their smaller-sized Little John roll or he could wait ‘til the rolls were baked.  He accepted option 2.  I doubt I would have noticed the difference if he had not told me.  The sandwiches were great.  I’m glad we persevered.

The following week I received a $10 gift card from Jimmy John’s.  No explanation, but it must have been because of my comment to their “feedback” option.  I consider that classy.

.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

I received my yearly birthday reward -- a free burger -- from Red Robin.  I decided to take advantage of their “free” delivery option and order our supper from them on Friday, my actual birthday.

I stumbled through their online order process.  It was a little confusing to get the free burger processed, but I finally did and received the response that our supper should arrive about 45 minutes later.

A half-hour after the delivery time, I called to ask where it was.  The gal answering the phone said it was sitting there waiting to be picked up.  I called again 2 hours after placing the order and spoke to the manager.  He gave me two options: he could deliver it himself “but I don’t know when that would be” (sure, I want cold burgers) or he could cancel the order.  I told him to cancel it, and he assured me the amount would be deducted from my credit card AND that my free birthday burger would be added back to my rewards account.

That did not happen.  I called again Monday night and talked to a different manager.  He explained that the 3rd-party delivery company had a major computer glitch Friday evening.  He then took down my information and called me back a few minutes later to tell me my credit card had been corrected and that the free burger was back in my account.  I’ll redeem my birthday burger offer in a few days.  But this time I’ll order it for pick-up.  And maybe run by Portillo's for my free slice of birthday cake.

No comments: