Friday, June 23, 2017

Inside vs. Outside

Humpf.  Until I saw these FitBit activity stats side-by-side I thought I was covering more distance and using more steps while inside.  Based on glancing at the FitBit apparatus when returning home after the walks it looked to me like the numbers were lower when walking outside.  But apparently not so.

My thought was that while I am outside I do not have a clear-cut notion of the distance that I need to walk to complete one hour.  While indoors at the rec center I'm walking a track of pre-determined distance.  Plus there is a clock so I know when I'm at the 60-minute mark.  When walking outside I sure would not want to be several blocks from home when the hour time is up.  One hour is my goal.  Not trying to set any records.  So I sort of tend to maybe walk a bit slower to stretch out the time in my estimated distance.  On occasion I've tagged on an extra loop or walked around the block instead of approaching home on a more direct course.

The FitBit is a novelty.  And it sometimes is an incentive to reach that magical 60 minutes a day.

One hour outside vs. One hour indoors
Note: These are snapshots of my activity at the end of my walking time
and do not represent the entire day's activity


_____________________________________________________________________________

No comments: