Friday, December 14, 2018

A Major Senior Moment

I've just arrived home from running a couple errands.  I treated myself to a stop at Taco Bell to pick up something for lunch.  I ordered inside for carryout, and as I was waiting for my order to come up, I dug in my coat pocket for my car keys.  I dug in the other pocket, then both of my pants pockets.  No keys.  Oops-- I guess they are locked in the car.  I'll have to walk home and get the second set.  Not looking forward to that, but at least the temps are in the mid-40's and it's not raining altho it is a wet day.

I ate in the store, shoveling the food in and not really enjoying it.  I theorized that I accidentally left the keys in the car 'cause I was just bringing in my wallet.  I supposed I had set them down on the passenger seat when I picked up the wallet.  Didn't really make sense, but those were my thoughts.

I approached my car and peered through the driver's window, but I didn't see the keys on the seat.  Well, that theory was shot.

Then I reached for the door, and it opened!!!!  Yippee!  But where are the keys?

In the ignition.  That just seems so unreal to me.  I'm generally careful about hanging onto the keys.  What the heck caused me to leave the key in the ignition?  At least the car door was not locked.  But .....

As I reached to start the car, I discovered the car was already running.  I had not turned the car off!!!!  That would explain why I did not have the keys in hand because I pretty much automatically remove the key from the ignition when I turn the car off.  So, the whole time I was in the store, the car was running.  Anyone could have driven off with it.  (Likewise, anyone could have driven the car away with the key in the ignition and the door unlocked.)

What a nincompoop.

After arriving home and thinking a little bit, I'm still surprised that I didn't lock the door.  That's pretty automatic with me, too.  But I kind of think the car is safe-guarded to not lock with the key in the ignition.  I'll have to test that out some other day ..... when I am safely at home.

No comments: