Friday, February 3, 2023

Grammie's No-Bake Cookies

my grandmother's writing
Back when I was in junior high or high school, I used this actual recipe from my Grandmother B. to make these cookies. I followed it exactly.

I put   2 cups sugar
          1 cup cocoa
          2 cups milk
          1 stick of butter
in a saucepan and heated it on the stove.

Then I looked at the other scribbles and finally figured out what the measurements really said.

What I was heating was a total screw-up. How do you correct 4 times the amount of milk that I'd put in the 3-quart saucepan? I would have needed to use 4 sticks of butter. No way.

So, how to dispose of the catastrophe and start over?

The garbage disposal did not seem wise with the melted butter. Nor the toilet.

So I walked the hot saucepan out to the garbage barrel in the alley and dumped the contents there.

I don't think I ever told Mom.

I started over. Since I had broken the code, I knew to use 1/2 cup peanut butter and 3 cups oatmeal. And I ended up with perfectly delightful No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies.

Here's the easy-to-read recipe:

No comments: